Sell My House Fast
How It Works

Selling a house can be overwhelming. Between deciding how you will sell, hosting viewings, negotiating, and packing, it can be easy to get swept up in the chaos. One of the aspects that many home sellers struggle with is knowing what to take and what to leave when packing up during the property sale. And that is where the fittings and contents form comes into play. 

The Fixtures & Fittings form, or as it’s better known the ‘TA10’ form, is an integral part of the conveyancing Contract Pack. In essence, this form clarifies what items - if any - will remain at the property once it has sold, together with details on what will be taken by the buyer. 

But when do you need to fill out this form? Is it legally binding? And how do you complete it? 

In this blog post, we will be answering all these questions and more, helping you to get a better understanding of the ta10 form. Looking for a quick answer? Check out our navigation below! 

We can sell your house fast

What is the TA10 Fixtures and Fittings form? 

The TA10 Fixtures and Fittings form, also known as the TA10 fittings and contents form, is an essential document in the process of selling your house. This form serves to outline precisely what items will remain in your property when you vacate. It facilitates mutual understanding between the buyer and seller regarding which fittings and fixtures will be transferred during the move and which ones will be left behind. It is imperative to note that the completion of this form is a legal requirement and must be undertaken by the seller as a crucial step in the conveyancing process.

Is the TA10 form a legally binding document? 

 Yes. As part of the contract between the buyer and the seller, this is a legally binding document. The form becomes legally binding following the exchange of contracts and anything on the form deemed to be incorrect may leave the seller in breach of contract and potentially liable to be sued. 

What are fittings and fixtures?

Before we get into how to fill out the fixtures and fittings form, we should first look into exactly what they are. As the name suggests, fixtures are items that are 'fixed' to the home. 

Fixtures within a home include - but are not restricted to - the following: 

  • Kitchen units 

  • Boiler 

  • Built-in wardrobes 

  • Fireplaces 

  • Bathroom suites 

  • Tiles  

  • Plumbing 

On the other hand, fittings are items that are not permanently fixed to the home. These can include: 

  • Curtains 

  • Freestanding wardrobes 

  • White goods 

  • Tables 

  • Beds 

  • Sofas 

  • Carpets 

  • Garden Furniture 

  • Artwork 

We can sell your property in as little as 7 days

How to fill out a fittings and contents form? 

As the seller, your conveyancer will provide you with the TA10 form to fill out and should be present to help you should you require it. If you have any questions about the form or need any assistance you should not hesitate to reach out. 

The form is made up of 11 sections where the seller will have to tick the appropriate boxes in regard to which fixtures and fittings will be included in the property sale. 

In regards to items that you may be willing to sell separately from the home, you should put a price next to them. This way the buyer can either agree to the price stated or they can negotiate the price if they wish to keep it. If the buyer does not wish to have the fixture or fitting in question, then they will be able to request that the buyer remove it when they move. This will apply to other fixtures and fittings listed on the form that the seller has agreed to leave. If the buyer does not want them they have the right to request they be removed, as the seller cannot leave everything they choose to. 

The ta10 fittings and contents form explained 

As we have previously mentioned, the form is made up of 11 sections which are listed below. When you are filling out the form, you will be able to inform the buyer of whether they are fitted or freestanding, and whether they will be included with the property. The sections include: 

Basic Fittings

These are items that you would expect to find within any home. This includes boilers, burglar alarms, window fittings, insulation, central heating, light switches, internal and external doors and doorbells. 


This section reviews any items you may typically find in the kitchen. Items such as your dishwasher, extractor fan, oven, fridge, washing machine, and any other white goods will be listed. 


These will be items that you typically find in a bathroom, such as baths, showers, toilet roll holders, taps, towel rails, and mirrors. 


This section is fairly self-explanatory and covers fitted carpets and whether or not they will be included in the sale. 

Curtain and curtain rails

Another fairly self-explanatory section this part of the form will cover which rooms contain curtains, curtain rails, and blinds and what will be left in the sale. 

Light fittings

If you are planning to leave behind your light fittings you will need to clarify here. This means any lampshades or ornamental lighting. Should you decide to take lampshades with you, you will need to replace them with either a bulb, bulb holder or ceiling rose in order to ensure that you are leaving behind a safe environment for the buyer. 

Fitted units

This section is dedicated to fitted units within your home, such as built-in wardrobes, shelves, or cupboards. 

Outdoor area

If you have any garden ornaments, furniture, sheds, bins, clothing lines, or plants that you plan on including, you should tick them here. 

Television and phone

As indicated by the title of this section, you will list any satellite dishes, TVs, aerials, and telephone receivers that you will include as part of the sale.   

Stock of fuel

If your home does not contain a fuel-burning appliance, then you can ignore this section. However, if you do own a fireplace or similar appliance then you will need to state whether you will include fuel in the sale. 

Other items

This is the section where you can list any extra miscellaneous items that have not been mentioned in the form or any relevant notes. 

Can the buyer negotiate on what fixtures and fittings stay?  

The simple answer to this is yes - the buyer can negotiate what fixtures and fittings can stay and go. The solicitors will proceed to confirm this in writing at a later date to alleviate confusion/potential dispute. Typically speaking, any objects that are listed in the TA10 form will be included in the purchase price of the property. 

We can sell your house without fees

Do you have to leave light fittings when selling house?

Legally, you are under no obligation to leave anything behind during a house sale unless you have stated that you will do so in the contents and fittings form. You can take your light fittings however if you do so you will need to make sure you are leaving the house in a 'safe condition'. This means replacing any light fixtures with either a lightbulb, bulb holder, ceiling rose, or flex.  

Do you have to leave a cooker when selling a house?

If you have stated that in the form ta10 you will leave behind the cooker, then legally you will be expected to do so. However, if you have made the buyer aware that the cooker will be going with you in the move via the TA10, then you will be able take it with you to your new property. 

Are blinds included in house sale UK?

Unless you have stated in the TA10 form that you will be including the blinds in the sale of the property, then you do not have to leave them. However, if you do plan on taking your blinds with you in your house sale UK, it is considered the courteous thing to do to inform your buyer. This is because it can be difficult to find blinds that fit your windows and no one wants to move into a property with no blinds or curtains. This way, your seller can make arrangements to have something in place come moving day.  

We can sell your house without the fees

Are there any other forms you need to be wary of? 

As a seller, you will not only be required to fill out the TA10 form. You will also need to get familiar with the following: 

TA6 Property Information Form 

Another form that you will need to get to grips with in the selling process is the TA6 Property Information Form. This incredibly in-depth form will go over all of the different details about the property, looking at all aspects of the home. Some areas you can expect to be discussed include: 

  • Alterations

  • Environmental factors

  • Planning permissions 

  • Neighbour disputes 

  • Japanese knotweed

  • Structural issues 

  • Boundaries

  • Warranties 

  • Parking 

  • Notices

TA7 Leasehold Information Form 

If you are selling a leasehold property, then you will also need to get familiar with the TA7 form. You will also need to get your freeholder or managing agent to fill out an LPE1 Form, or as it is also referred to, a Leasehold Information Pack.  

This form will address all aspects of the property, including: 

  • Contact details

  • Relevant documents 

  • Consents

  • Complaints

  • Notices

  • Alterations 

  • Charges

TR1 Form

As a seller, you will also come into contact with as TR1 form. This form is vital for the conveyancing process and is a legally binding document that transfers ownership of a property. From here, the transfer can be registered with the Land Registry and be noted on the Official Copy Entries. 

This form should be signed and sent on completion in order to finalise the sale. This is a form that will be organised by your conveyancer. 

 Is Stamp Duty applied to fixtures and fittings? 

Items that are negotiated into the sale in the first instance and are therefore included in the TA10 as staying in the property will be liable to Stamp Duty. Those, on the other hand, that are agreed at a later date will fall outside of the property purchase price and Stamp Duty will not be applied to these items. This is entirely legitimate. However, the action of deliberately avoiding Stamp Duty is deemed a criminal offense. 

Are you or someone you know looking to sell your home? As leading cash home buyers with an excellent rating, we offer an efficient property sale experience and to help make the process as easy as possible, we handle everything from start to completion - including funding solicitor costs. What’s more, we offer the flexibility to choose a completion date within a minimum of 7 days, absolutely free of charge and entirely hassle-free. For more information, just give us a call on 0800 024 8444. Alternatively, for all the latest property market news and information, head over to our Property News hub. 

We can sell your house for free
Alexandra Ventress

Alexandra is a Content Producer who enjoys writing articles, finding out about the property market, keeping you up to date with the latest trends.