Sell My House Fast
How It Works

In the intricate landscape of property transactions, ensuring transparency, security and accuracy is of paramount importance. Among the array of documents and forms that facilitate these objectives, the ID1 Land Registry form holds a vital role. 

As a cornerstone of identity verification within property dealings, the ID1 Form stands as a safeguard against fraud, a guarantor of rightful ownership, and a linchpin for trust-building among parties. 

Between 2009 and 2018, the HM Land Registry prevented 279 fraudulent property transactions, amounting to £133.4 million. 

In this article we will delve into the intricacies of the ID1 Land Registry Form, unravelling its significance, how it works and how much it costs. 

We'll buy any house in any location

What is an ID1 Land Registry Form?

The ID1 Land Registry Form is used to provide evidence of an individual’s identity when they are involved in property transactions and are not legally represented. It is part of the Land Registry’s identity to prevent fraud and ensure the accuracy and security of property ownership records. 

A ID1 Form is used in the United Kingdom as part of the process of registering a property transaction with the HM Land Registry, who are responsible for maintaining records of land ownership and property rights in England and Wales. 

Private individuals involved in property transactions will need to complete the ID1 Form, whereas corporate parties must complete the ID2 Form. 

When is an ID1 Land Registry Form required?

Any party who has an interest in a property transaction and does not wish to be presented by a legal representative will need to complete a separate Form ID1 to provide evidence of their identity.

You will need to send the ID1 Form to the Land Registry before the exchange of contracts. 

Property transactions are as follows:
  • Transfer of land or mortgage.

  • Transfer, surrender or grant of a lease.

  • Registering, discharging or release of a mortgage.

  • Discharge of land.

  • Change of name.

  • Change of address.

The individual who is submitting the application on behalf of the parties involved but is not a conveyancer will also need to submit an ID1 Form. 

Do I need a solicitor for an ID1 Form?

You don’t necessarily need a solicitor to complete a Land Registry ID1 Form, as it is daily straightforward. However, you will need to make sure you fill out the form correctly and provide accurate identification documents. 

A conveyancer, Chartered Legal Executive or HM Land Registry officer will need to sign the ID1 Form off. 

Can you complete an ID1 Land Registry Form online?

You can fill a ID1 Land Registry Form online, and then once completed print it out and sign it ready for a legal representative to verify your identity. 

You can get a ID1 Land Registry Form online at the website and should be completed with certified identification attached and sent to the Land Registry before the exchange of contracts.

You will need to complete the Section A of the ID1 form, whereas the certifier of your identity  will complete Section B. 

You will be required to submit a form of identification like:
  • A current valid full passport.

  • Current UK, EU, Channel Islands or Isle of Man photographic driving licence

  • Current Biometric Residence Permit issued by the UK Home Office to a non-UK national resident in the UK. 

Alternatively, you could provide two of the following:
  • Bank statement not less than 3 months old.

  • Utility bill not less than 3 months old.

  • Council tax statement from the current year.

  • Mortgage statement for the year just ended.

A signed ID1 Form is only valid for 3 months, so it’s important to complete an ID1 Form at the latter stage of the property transaction, like prior to exchange of contracts.

Can you fill in an ID1 Form yourself?

You can fill out Section A of the ID1 Form yourself, but will need a legal representative to fill out Section B of the ID1 Form. 

Legal representatives that can certify your identity include:
  • HM Land Registry officer.

  • Solicitor, Barrister, Legal Executive or Conveyancer.

  • Notary public.

  • Serving Officer of the UK armed forces overseas.

  • A non-UK lawyer. 

There are also several online solicitors offering remote verification services for a fee.

Don't want the solicitor hassle?

We can help!

Why is an ID1 Form important?

The ID1 Form is used by the Land Registry to verify the identity of any individual that is involved in any conveyancing related transaction, undergoing a transfer of equity or change of registration or charge. 

The ID1 form is important because property fraud can occur when someone falsely claims ownership or attempts to sell a property they do not own, the form helps prevent such fraudulent activities by requiring individuals in property transactions to provide verified proof of their identity. 

Verification via the Land Registration ID1 Form also helps add an extra layer of security to property transactions by confirming that the parties involved are genuine and authorised to engage in the transfer of property rights.

When is an ID1 Form not required?

A ID1 Form is not necessary when a property transaction amounts to £6,000 or less. Instead of the form, you will need to provide a surveyor certificate which confirms the value of the land should be submitted.

If you are an individual who is not a legal representative, you do not need to complete a ID1 Form is you are in any of the following:
  • Trustee in bankruptcy, liquidation, supervisor, administrator or administrative receiver who has been appointed under the Insolvency Act 1986. 

  • Receiver appointed under the Law of Property Act 1925.

  • Deputy appointed under the Mental Capacity Act 2005.

  • Personal representative assenting or transferring the land.

How much does an ID1 Form cost?

An ID1 Land Registry Form is free to download, and you can complete Section A on your own without any cost.

But, you will need to use a legal representative to verify your identity, and depending on the agency service you choose, this may come at a cost. 

The HM Land Registry service is free, whereas online solicitor verification services can charge anywhere between £55 - £100 (plus VAT). 

How can we help?

We will buy your house for cash in as little as seven days, whatever your circumstances are, we’ll even cover all costs involved (including solicitors).

We are more than just a house buyer, with many years of experience in the house buying arena, we can offer you an unparalleled level of customer service.

From helping with finding rental property, negotiating onward purchases or simply selling your house fast, we will not only buy your property, we’ll make sure the transaction is seamless and take away any stress or strain from the process.

Our buy any house process also includes a dedicated in-house progression team with over 30 years of legal and conveyancing experience to deal with any property related issues. 

Which helps to ensure that we can meet completion timescales, offer advice and support on non-property related issues such as helping guide you through the probate process. 

Tom Condon

Tom Condon, one of our content writers, has fascinating expertise in sustainability in the property industry. Tom thoroughly understands the market and has experience in both residential and commercial property. He enjoys attending conferences and staying current with the most recent property trends.