Exploring what property staging is, what the costs are and how it could help you sell your house...
When it comes to selling our homes, we all want to make sure it’s presented in the best light, so we can make sure it sells ASAP and get as close to the asking price as possible.
Property staging is the key to achieving this.
Whether you want a complete home makeover or just a freshen up, staging your home is only going to make it look better.
But the question is, is property staging worth the extra time and money? Will it help you sell your home fast? Or will it just make it look ‘pretty’ but have no impact on sales?
We’re going to answer all of this and MORE – including the costs of property staging and things you should be asking when searching for a property staging expert.
Want to get started? Use this menu to help you find an answer to your questions ASAP:
- What is property staging?
- How do I get a home stager?
- How much does it cost to stage a house UK?
- Is Home Staging worth it UK?
Don't want to spend time and money on property staging?
Property staging is giving your property a ‘freshen up’ to help it look more desirable to potential buyers. Property staging can range from more minor changes such as adding flowers or repainting some walls to a more major makeover involving a new kitchen or new bathrooms.
The idea of property staging is to help a potential buyer picture themselves in your home, which will in turn make your house seem more desirable. Home staging can not only help you to find a buyer quicker, meaning a quicker sale, but can sometimes help you achieve a higher price.
Finding yourself a ‘home stager’ may be easier than you think and there are a few different ways you can go about it.
Firstly, you can ask the estate agent who will be selling the property if they use, or know of, any property staging companies or independent property stagers who they could put you in contact with.
If you’re not working with an estate agent and don’t feel comfortable approaching one to ask, it’s always a good idea to ask friends for a word-of-mouth recommendation, or having a quick search on the internet is always a good bet.
Want to know what questions you should be asking your property staging expert? We’ve got a list of the top 7 questions you will want to get the answer to before you jump in:
- How long have you been staging houses? It’s always a good idea to see how long they’ve been staging houses so you can get an idea about the experience they may have. The longer they’ve been staging houses, the more likely that they’ve dealt with lots of different styles of house, meaning they will know what will work best for you
- Do you have examples of your other work? Looking at examples of other work will help you ‘get a feel’ for what they may suggest for your property and what sort of different ‘looks’ they go for
- Are you comfortable working on different styles to what is on your website/in your portfolio? If you come across a property stager who you like but their website or portfolio shows a different style to what you were picturing, then it’s best to check they’re comfortable and able to work to the style you want
- Do you have any qualifications? This isn’t a necessity but it’s a good indication of their level of expertise and experience before you work with them
- Do you do free consultations? It may be hard to find a property staging expert who does free initial consultations but it’s always worth a try – if you don’t ask, you don’t get!
- Do you have much availability? You don’t want to find someone who’s property staging you LOVE for them to say they don’t have availability for months – all this will do is slow down your moving plans…
- Do you have any insurance? In the midst of a home makeover you don’t want your precious family heirloom to get dropped or scratched, with no cover. If your property staging expert has insurance, you can rest easy that anything damaged will be fixed or replaced
How can I do property staging myself?
Property staging doesn’t always have to be a new kitchen or furniture or a complete property overhaul. It can be much simpler things, ones which you’re able to do yourself. We have some little property staging tips for when you want to DIY:
- Give walls a fresh coat of paint – white tends to work best for most rooms, which is ideal for keeping wall colour uniform across all the rooms
- Use mirrors wherever possible – mirrors reflect light and reflect the room itself, making it appear bigger and more spacious
- Put fresh flowers in the main areas – whether that’s the kitchen or the master bedroom, fresh flowers always make a home look more appealing
- Use neutral, plain bedding and add a decorative, plump cushion – this may sound boring but plain bedding is simple but effective, with the cushion adding a small bit of decoration without being too much
- Give everything a deep clean – the carpets especially! *Little tip - deep cleaning a carpet can make it look almost brand new*
- Declutter – we can’t stress this enough! No one will want to picture themselves in a home that has mess everywhere and by decluttering you will increase the floorspace on show = makes the property look bigger
- Do a spot of gardening – whether this is mowing the lawn or planting some flowers in the flower bed, a tidy garden makes a home look more cared for and therefore more appealing
- Replace tired furniture – we know furniture is expensive so this isn’t a necessity, but if your 20-year-old sofa is starting to sag, it may be time to find a newer, more modern looking sofa. You don’t have to pay for an expensive one and it doesn’t need to be brand new, just something which doesn’t look as though you’ve had kids and pets jumping on it for years
- Make it less personal – one of the main aims of property staging is to help viewers picture themselves in your home. One of the easiest ways to do this is to make your house less ‘personal’. By this we mean, get rid of family photos, keep clothes hidden in the wardrobe and keep the bathroom clear of any personal items. It may make it a little weird to live in but it’s a very useful way of helping viewers picture themselves in your property
- Rearrange furniture – instead of replacing furniture, it could be a better idea to rearrange the placing of beds, sofas, tables, chairs, etc. Just by simply moving things around, you can completely change the look of a room
- Get inspiration – if you’re not sure where to get started, or what style you should be looking to achieve, use apps, like Pinterest, for inspiration
Trying to do the property staging yourself sounds like too much hassle?
Of course, unless you’re a professional, doing the property staging yourself will never look as good as an expert coming in and giving your house a complete overhaul.
This isn’t to say, though, that by doing these little tips you won’t see any difference – you will! But we can’t promise it’s the same as doing out all your bathrooms…
Is it better to stage a house or leave it empty?
Although an empty home may make the property appear bigger and therefore seem like a good idea to leave empty, a potential buyer may find it harder to visualise themselves in a home which is completely empty, as it makes it look unloved and un ‘homelike’.
You could argue that leaving a property empty is showing the buyer a ‘blank canvas’, which potential buyers can use to start afresh.
But what you need to keep in mind is, property staging helps to fill a buyers’ head with ideas of how they could lay out their furniture, which will only help them picture themselves in your home, making property staging a better idea than just leaving a house empty.
This will of course vary from company to company and will depend on the level of property staging you’re requiring. It will also depend upon the quality of the furniture, etc which you have chosen.
Other aspects which will have a bearing on the price of the property staging are geographical location, experience, qualification and recommendations.
For an initial consultation and staging report, which contains recommendations and quotes, you may be expecting to pay somewhere between £120 to £295 for 2-3 hours, according to ‘House Wow’.
After you have then appointed a property staging expert team, you will have to then pay hourly or day rates for the overhaul. Depending on the different variables we’ve just mentioned, hourly rates can cost between £20-£75 an hour.
Your costs will also depend upon whether or not you have chosen to add additional services such as decorating, gardening or repairs.
Want to sell your house FAST without paying these prices?
Whether or not property staging is worth it will depend upon why you want to have your home staged and what you want to achieve as a result.
According to statistics from the Home Staging Association survey of Property Developers and Estate Agents in 2019, 94% stated that staging increased the number of viewings, 78% agreed that professionally staged homes can sell up to 10% more than non-staged homes and 86% reported a sale time of up to 3x faster.
These statistics would suggest that property staging is worth your time. BUT you have to remember the time and costs that goes into property staging.
For example, you have to pay the property staging expert for every visit to your property and will have to pay for every hour that’s spent kitting out your property.
The statistics also say that the majority thought a staged property would sell for more than a non-staged property, but there’s no mention of exactly how near the asking price this would be AND there’s no indication of whether or not the extra money will cover what’s been spent on property staging.
If you’re thinking about property staging because you think it will get you a fast house sale, then we do have another option for you to take, which doesn’t involve spending a single penny…
Sell to us!
Yes really! We will buy your house for CASH and have it in your bank in a fast timescale which suits you – we have been known to get the job done in as little as 7 days!
Our offer may be slightly below the market value, but you won’t need to spend a penny – no need for property staging AND we cover all your fees, yes the legal fees too!
Our team have over 50 years combined experience and multiple good reviews on Trustpilot, which we feel shows you you’re in safe hands!
Give us a call or fill in our online form today to receive a no-obligation CASH offer for a fast sale on your property without the need for property staging…
Want a guaranteed sale which doesn't cost a penny?